To Our Valued Customers,
Avianca has flown the skies for more than 100 years, and we are committed to our purpose to connect people, families and businesses. In all that we do, providing for the safety and well-being of our customers is our top priority. This has been true throughout the COVID-19 pandemic and will continue when travel restrictions are lifted in the countries we serve. We look forward to returning to the skies and helping you safely visit the people and places you love.
In the meantime, we are taking action to make sure we have the financial strength we need to continue serving you well into the future. Avianca has voluntarily filed reorganization proceedings under Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code. We did so to protect our business as we continue to navigate the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic as well as comprehensively address our debt and other commitments.
Here is what you need to know:
Avianca will continue to operate through this process, and Avianca will return to the skies and continue to fly.
Your safety and well-being remains a top priority for us today and moving forward. You can be confident that you can continue to depend on Avianca for safe, reliable air travel and high-quality service. To that end, Avianca has implemented a number of measures to ensure the safety and well-being of our employees and customers. Additional information on the steps Avianca has taken can be found here.
You can expect to continue to arrange travel and fly with Avianca in the same way you always have. We plan to honor all customer programs throughout this process.
- You will be able to use tickets, vouchers, travel coupons, gift cards and any additional travel services purchased before we initiated this process.
- Additional frequent flyer benefits remain active, including access to VIP Lounges, priority check-in, upgrades and other benefits.
- Given the impact COVID-19 has had on travel plans, we will continue with our Flexibility Policy. Subject to government policies, we expect to continue to allow changes free of penalty and fare difference charges for previously booked and/or newly purchased tickets as long as the original and changed flights are until October 31, 2020. All customers who have booked travel or will purchase flights during this period can be confident they can rely on Avianca for their travels.
For our LifeMiles™ members:
- The LifeMiles™ program is administered by a separate company and is NOT part of Avianca’s Chapter 11 filing.
- Avianca customers will continue to accrue miles when they fly with Avianca, and can continue to redeem miles earned throughout LifeMiles™ to purchase tickets with Avianca during this process. Tickets purchased through redemption of LifeMiles™ miles will continue to be exempt from penalty fees until October 2020.
- We have extended the status of Elite LifeMiles™ members through January 31, 2022. In addition, we have reduced the requirements to qualify for the status in 2020.
- You can also continue to accrue and redeem miles from the LifeMiles™ program for your future travel plans, including Star Alliance partners and other airline partners, at participating hotels, rental car agencies and other partners.
- For additional information regarding LifeMiles™, click here.
Before the COVID-19 pandemic, Avianca had made progress on our “Avianca 2021” plan. Avianca looks forward to continuing to operate and serving the more than 30 million people who fly our airline annually. As the largest airline in Colombia and El Salvador, and the second largest in Latin America, we remain steadfast in our commitment to you, your families and your businesses.
The Chapter 11 process is a well-established legal process in the United States of America that is recognized by other countries around the world. The process is a temporary one that, according to United States laws, allows a company to reorganize and complete a financial restructuring under the supervision of the United States court system. Importantly, this process is not an insolvency proceeding or liquidation. During this process, we continue day-to-day operations under the oversight of Avianca’s board of directors and management team. Many companies, including airlines, have used the Chapter 11 process to reorganize their financial obligations and emerge as stronger organizations. Avianca itself underwent a Chapter 11 process in 2003 that allowed the Company to expand in Latin America. We are confident that, with the right support, we will emerge from this process as a stronger, more efficient airline.
We are proud of our 100-year legacy, and look forward to continuing to serve you. Thank you for your continued loyalty.
Be safe, be well and we will see you in the skies soon. #AviancaSeguiráVolando
Case Information and Information Hotline
Court filings and other documents related to the Chapter 11 process in the U.S. are available on a separate website administered by Avianca’s claims agent, Kurtzman Carson Consultants (“KCC”), at www.kccllc.net/avianca.
For more information, customers can click here.
KCC Restructuring Hotline and Email
Toll-free in the U.S. and Canada: (866) 967-1780
International: +1 (310) 751-2680